If you have a family member who has a New Zealand citizenship or a permanent residence, then they can sponsor you if you are any of the following groups:
Under this group, a New Zealand citizen can sponsor his/her partner to come and live in New Zealand.
To Sponsor a Partner
A New Zealand citizen or resident can sponsor a partner by fulfilling the following conditions:
To Sponsor a Partner:
- you must not have supported or sponsored more than one successful applicant previously under the Partner Sponsorship
- has not sponsored another successful applicant under the Partner Sponsorship within the last five years of this application
If you are in New Zealand, then you can easily sponsor your dependent child under this group
To Sponsor a Child
A lawful and permanent resident of New Zealand can sponsor a dependent child under the Family Category.
The child must be
- 16 years or younger or
- 17-24 years, must be single with no dependent children themselves
- the child must have been born or adopted before the parents applied for residence to New Zealand and declared on parent residence application, or
- be born after the parents residence application, or
- were adopted as recognized by New Zealand law
- the child needs to be of good health and good character
- be dependent or substantially dependent on an adult for financial support
If you are New Zealand citizen, and wish to invite your parents to live with you in New Zealand, then you can sponsor them under the parent group under the New Zealand Family Visa category.
To Sponsor a Parent or Guardian
An eligible New Zealand citizen can sponsor his/her parents or guardian by meeting the following conditions.
- be at least 17 years old
- live in New Zealand as a New Zealand or Australian citizen, or
- live in New Zealand and be the holder of a Residence Visa, or a returning Residents Visa, for at least three years before the application (at least 184 days within each 12 months of the three year period must have been spent living in New Zealand)
- demonstrate that you will be able to provide financial support and accommodation for at least the first 24 months of your parents being resident in New Zealand
Brother, sister or adult child:
Apply under the brother, sister or adult child group to sponsor your brother, sister or adult child under the New Zealand Family Visa category.
To Sponsor a Brother or Sister
To be a sponsor for a Brother or Sister, they must have no other siblings or parents who are living lawfully and permanently in the same country as them.
To be eligible to as a sponsor you must adhere to the same rules as explained above in the section about sponsoring a Parent or Guardian.
The New Zealand Immigration Services offer a limited number of immigration opportunities each year for an eligible New Zealand citizen to sponsor someone who is not eligible for immigration under other circumstances. The Minister of Immigration announces the number of places available under the Family Quota each year.