May 19, 2014

Australian Immigration, Visas and Purposes

Views 2166 Comments 0

Australian Immigration has risen up in recent years. To live and work, study or start a business in Australia the first thing you need to apply for the relevant visa. The official website for Australia – lists all available visas types and the requirements.

Work in Australia 

The individuals who migrate to work in Australia will either be sponsored by an employer, or will apply independently for permanent residency through the General Skilled Migration Program. 

Employer sponsored visas

The most commonly used employer sponsored visa is the “457”. This subclass visa is temporary visa used by Australian employers to fill in the positions when they face the scarcity of skilled workers from the local market. The visa is granted only if you successfully secure a job with an Australian employer. Apart from this there are major other requirements, which includes: your skills, qualifications, experience and employment history match those required for the position; your English language ability; you are eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the role; and that you have private health insurance.

You can work in Australia for a period of between one day and four years on this visa and you can bring eligible secondary applicants with you to Australia. The secondary applicant has the right to work and study in Australia. Your right to stay and work in Australia depends on your employer continuing to sponsor you. If you want to change jobs, your new employer must apply to DIBP and be accepted to sponsor you.

The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) is for employers looking to sponsor highly skilled workers to fill skilled vacancies in their business. This is a permanent resident visa.

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) is designed to encourage migration to regional areas within Australia. This visa enables employers in regional areas to nominate highly skilled workers to fill skilled vacancies in their business. This is also a permanent resident visa.

Skilled independent visas

There is a range of independent visa options under the General Skilled Migration (GSM) program for skilled workers who want to live in Australia and who don’t have an employer to sponsor them. These include options for skilled people applying as an independent migrant as well as those nominated by a state or territory government. If you are interested in General Skilled Migration you will need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and receive an invitation from them to lodge a visa application through SkillSelect.

SkillSelect is an online tool that allows skilled workers looking to migrate to Australia to enter their details and be considered for a skilled visa through an Expression of Interest (EOI). For the Australian government, it’s there to make sure the skilled migration program is meeting the country’s economic needs. For you, it’s there for you to be found and nominated for skilled visas by Australian employers or state and territory governments.

The general requirements for a Skilled Independent Visa are that:

  • You must be invited to apply
  • You must be younger than 50 years old
  • You must nominate an occupation that matches your skills and qualifications, and is on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • You must have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation
  • You must be competent in English
  • And you must meet the health and character requirements.

The Skilled – Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area in Australia. 

Working holiday visa

It’s a great visa for young people to check out Australia and get an idea of whether you would like to move back more permanently in the future.  Australia Working Holiday visa is considered for people within 18- 30 years of age and entitles you to work for up to 12 months in Australia. This Visa limits you from working not more than six months with an employer.