Tier 2 (General) Visa

Tier 2 (General) Visa


The Tier 2 (General) visa is meant for individuals from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland with a valid offer letter in a skilled job in the UK to move to United Kingdom. Before you apply for the Tier 2 (General) visa, you must make sure that you have a certificate of sponsorship from a sponsor. Also, you need to make sure that the work you will take up in UK is related to your sponsoring organization.

To be eligible for Tier 2 (General) category visa you must:

  • have a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship from an organization that is a licensed sponsor in the United Kingdom.
  • an ‘appropriate’ salary
  • meet the English language requirement
  • have at least £945 funds to support yourself (if your sponsor is not ‘A-rated)


If the permission to enter the UK under Tier 2 (General) Visa category is granted, you can

  • stay here for 3 years and 1 month
  • work for your sponsor
  • do a second job in the same sector and at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week
  • do a job which has a shortage of workers in the UK for up to 20 hours per week
  • take up voluntary work
  • study as long as it doesn’t interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
  • travel abroad & return to the UK
  • bring family members with you
Government Charges
Outside the UK (Entry Clearance)
Inside the UK (FLR)
Govt. Main Application Fee
GBP 480
GBP 867
This fee includes the visa applicant only
Govt. Partner Application Fee
GBP 480
GBP 434/867
This fee includes the visa for main applicant and only
Govt. Child Application Fee
GBP 480
GBP 434/867
This fee includes the visa for main applicant and child only
OTHER COSTS (If Applicable)
Medical Examination
Variable(Depending upon the type of Medical Test and Examination required)
This fee is payable for the application and must be paid directly to the doctor conducting your examination.
Character Clearance (Police Check)
This fee is payable to the police authorities in the countries where you have lived for 12 months or more.
Certification/Translation of documents
Payable to the Translator
Tier 2 General (Work Permit)